The “In Safe Hands Award” for Childcare Settings.
The First Aid Industry Body (FAIB) have been asked by Stakeholders with the First Aid Industry to create an Award for Childcare Settings within the United Kingdom.
The “In Safe Hands Award” is about Quality Assurance and Numbers of Paediatric Trained First Aiders in Childcare Setting (Nurseries, Pre Schools and Childminding Operatives).
The “In Safe Hands Award” is supported by our Local Member of Parliament William Wragg M.P. who said “there is a great deal of excellent work being done to promote the provision of first aid within the childcare environments. This award provides an alternative means of giving parents reassurance to know that if their child is taken ill that there are sufficient paediatric first aiders available to deal with the situation and consequently safeguard their children.
“I am keen to encourage all childcare providers in and around my constituency and indeed across the UK to strengthen their First Aid capabilities in this way and celebrate the excellent people and Training Providers working within this Industry.”
The Department for Education said “Genuine award schemes designed to ensure that more people in childcare settings have the Paediatric first aid training they need so that they are able to deal with accidents and injuries for very young children are to be welcomed”.
“The Department of Education welcomes such schemes provided all are aimed at ensuring that staff in childcare settings are well trained and able to respond to emergencies quickly. We hope that the “In Safe Hands Award” scheme is successful in doing that”.
The “In Safe Hands Award”
• The “In Safe Hands Award” will apply to Nurseries, Pre-Schools and Childminders.
• To gain the “In Safe Hands Award”, Nurseries and Pre-Schools have to achieve a MINIMUM of:
- 35% of staff Trained in Paediatric First Aid (12 hours) & 35% of staff Trained in Emergency Paediatric First Aid (6 hours).
• Childminders and any Assistants MUST have the Paediatric First Aid (12 hours) certificate.
Please Note: As required by the EYFS (3rd March 2017) , at least one Trained and current Paediatric First Aid (12 hours) Member of Staff must be deployed AT ALL TIMES within the Child Care Setting during opening hours and on Outings.
Each Childcare Setting must have a Compliance Folder that contains the following:
- A Health & Safety Risk Assessment.
- A First Aid Risk Assessment.
- A First Aid Emergency Procedure Guide.
- A list of current Paediatric First Aiders.
- The cost of the “In Safe Hands Award” is £20 + VAT per year for each Childcare setting.
- The Childcare setting achieving the “In Safe Hands Award” will be listed in geographical areas on the FAIB website (with an e mail link if requested).
- The Childcare setting must complete a return (showing the number and type of Paediatric First Aider) every 6 months signed by the Settings (OFSTED) Registered person. If the 6 monthly return is not completed (at the 6 month stage) then the Childcare setting will be suspended (temporarily) and the setting removed from the FAIB website.
- An annual Certificate of registration will be sent out to the Childcare facility electronically.
- The childcare setting will have the opportunity to purchase an “In Safe Hands Award” plaque showing the “In Safe Hands Award” Registration number. (Cost approx. £30 + VAT)
- Our campaign is also being supported by Cardiac Science. FAIB wants to encourage more Defibrillators being placed in workplaces and particularly in Childcare settings. As an incentive all Childcare settings will be able to purchase a Cardiac Science defibrillator from FAIB at a greatly discounted price.
Flat Stan First Aid
- FAIB is also supported by and working with Flat Stan First Aid as part of this campaign and so promoting the idea of First Aid to children as young as 2 years old.
Parents Paediatric First Aid Course
- As part of this campaign in Childcare settings, FAIB is also introducing a Parents Paediatric First Aid course as part of the range of courses that FAIB Registered Training Providers can provide.
Ian Kershaw MBE, Managing Director of FAIB and Ex-Head of First Aid for the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) said: “We are passionate about promoting the highest levels of first aid and training to as many people as possible to feel competent and confident in their role as a first aider”.
“This is especially relevant within the pre-school childcare environment and we are delighted to have developed the “In Safe Hands Award”, recognising such excellent staff knowledge within Paediatric first aid, after being asked to do so from stakeholders within the First Aid Industry.”
Download more information